Sunday, April 14

Scared as Hell

I had never killed anyone. In fact not even ‘anything’. But it changed today. I killed someone. Now i am at my house and I am really scared. It’s already midnight and I had been cleaning the front of my car because there was blood all over. After hitting the person, I had got in the house and I got out of the car, looked at the front. I couldn't see a thing because I had closed my headlight before hitting the person because I was stupid to think that I knew the road so well that I didn't need light. I went inside the car and turned the head light on. But to my surprise and misfortune, only one headlight glowed. I couldn't imagine how it would look when people found a man dead there and a broken headlight here. I got out immediately and to my horror I saw something that I had thought that could happen only in movies. My car’s left headlight was covered in blood and it had stopped the light to pass. Thank god it was not broken. The blood had started clotting and had started getting darker. Soon it would get yellow too. I joined the pipe used to water the flowers into the tap and opened it. Water flowed in jet speed and I started cleaning the blood.
I didn't do it on purpose I swear but it just happened. It all happened because I hate the dog at the first turning of the way from my house to my office. I always use the same road and it always happens with me. I always go there in a slow pace because of the narrow road. My red Toyota moves as if it is gliding. I feel proud when I ride my car through the way as heads turn seeing my car. Everyone sees it as if it was a red ripe apple that anyone will die to have. It passes through the barber shop where the barber looks at it and smiles always. I smile back. Then comes the lousy shop because the shopkeeper is very lousy. I don’t like his face at all. His crippled face and the ever half-closed eyes. I hate it so much. And i hate that shop for one more reason, because that evil dog is fed by that shop only. Others too hate that dog. This dog in particular always scares me when I head to the office. In fact it scares everyone. But I think it scares me with a bit more hatred. As soon as I reach the lousy shop, it jumps to my car window and barks so loudly that it scares me every time I get there. To tell you the truth I had turned my headlight off to prevent myself from waking that lousy dog. And comes the ever closed shutter. it was always closed ever since I came there to settle. People believe that a young girl had committed suicide there 10 years ago. But the house owner, a big fat man with a mustache like that of Charlie Chaplin claims that it’s all rumor and he had kept it closed for storing goods.
As I was cleaning the blood, I felt that someone was watching me from the gate. My heart started to pump very fast. It was pumping at an incredible speed. I looked at the gate but saw nothing. But still my super fast heart didn't slow down.
I slowly took out the main door key from under the carpet, unlocked the door without making a sound.
 "Creek!"
 I felt my heart come out by that sudden sound. I turned back to face the main gate but no one was there. I went quietly upstairs not waking my already asleep wife and my two little kids. I went to bed after changing to a nightgown. I sat trembling on the side of the bed and waited for the sleep to come. But it was determined not to. I had just killed someone. This sentence was ringing like a never-stopping bell in my head. I tried to name the feeling and yes it was guilt. I was guilty for killing someone.Even though I didn't do it on propose, a life was lost and it all
I heard a distant croak of a frog. It was continuous. I didn't want to sleep I decided. I rose from the bed. Got outside the room and headed for the room below with the TV. As I was descending the stairs, I thought someone was looking at me. No it can’t be, I thought. It’s probably nothing again. But there was someone watching me! I turned left to find a white face with black painted all around his face grinning at me showing an evil smile. My ears caught the sound of my heart beats. My ears got hot, I felt sweat flowing from all over my body. Goose bumps started appearing like needles. I was scared to death. But soon I realized that I had seen it earlier. It was the photo of the joker, a villain from the Batman world. My son was a comic maniac and he had hung that poster there. I was furious at first but had to grin for my foolishness.
The short moment was humorous but I quickly realized that I had killed someone. I imagined the moment when I would be taken by the police handcuffed. My head down and my family crying at my back. I couldn't imagine my wife crying and my children weeping seeing their mother cry. Then i would be taken out and I would get in the back of the police van. The van would go slowly and people would be looking at me with a look of pity and hatred. I literally ran down the stairs and turned on the TV. I sat on the couch trembling my eyes open wide. I didn't know when those eyes went to sleep.
In the morning my wife woke me up with a smile and a cup of warn coffee. She had a confused look on her face and I knew why because any wife would be amazed when her husband sleeps on the couch with the TV on instead of cuddling with his wife after a long day work.
“Are you okay honey ‘cos you look like hell?”
“Yes” I simply said taking a sip.
“What’s the sound outside? I’ll go take a look.” I almost chocked as the coffee spilled out of my hand. She had already headed out. I sat there trembling.
After about 15 minutes, my wife returned. I was expecting the worst. She came smiling and said-
“Honey, do you remember the dog at the shop at the corner of the street, its dead!!??”

No comments: